My Philosophy of Life
(Written by Tariq in 1992 at age 18 for a school assignment his senior year of high school.)
These are six of the aphorisms that I base my life on. It means a lot to me to follow these aphorisms, and I try my utmost to.
1) “Hang in there when the odds are against you.” I feel that this quote has helped me a lot in all the things I do, especially in school and in sports. In wrestling this quote has helped me out a lot. Especially when you’re matched up against that really good wrestler who’s pinned everyone. This quote lets you know to tough it out even though the odds aren’t in your favor, and a lot of the times when you do this you do end up coming out ahead when you were sure you weren’t going to succeed.
2) “Treat people the way you would want to be treated.” This is very important to me. I feel you should treat everyone with respect, and in return you will be treated with it. I feel that you should be kind to people and, in general, treat them the way you know you would want to be treated.
3) “Give life your best effort.” I feel this is so important to me because if you always give life your best effort, in your mind you’ll never be a failure. If you always give your 110%, you know you’re trying your hardest and that gives you a good feeling of satisfaction even if you don’t always come out ahead.
4) “Use your time wisely.” I feel time not spent doing useful things, is time wasted. I live by this quote because I feel time is the most precious commodity known to man; because once it’s gone, it’s gone forever. Time is one thing you can never get back once it’s gone, so you should always spend your time wisely.
5) “It is all right to be disappointed but a winner can never allow himself to be discouraged.” This quote allows you to face the trials and tribulations of life, and still be able to walk with your head up. Failure is unavoidable, but you have to be able to move on and getting discouraged won’t help you at all!
6) “Living by giving.” I feel it is much better to give than to receive. It makes you feel so good to be able to give things to people; not only material things, but also special things. Perhaps a warm smile to that person who’s having a bad day or some good advice to a person with a problem. Giving is a wonderful thing and I urge all of you to try it. It doesn’t take much and it will give you a wonderful feeling of satisfaction.